Food LAB is a workshop series that explores and shares the knowledge of different processes happening in the microcosm of food.
The first workshop in the series will take place on the 14th of January, 12PM: Natural remedies and tonics workshop by Biophilia.
Herbalism meets Fermentation! – to help you to go immune through this winter.
Learn how to create your own medicine – DIY!
In this workshop we will explore different types of immune-boosting or traditional homemade remedies upgrading their medicinal properties. How? By combining them with some live bacteria, yeast + time = welcome to herbal fermentation.
Herbal fermentation allows the active compounds from herbs to be expressed in a formula in a completely different way than other chemical extractions. With fermentation not only are the active compounds of the botanicals unlocked, but a higher content of nutrients, vitamins, probiotics, enzymes, antioxidants and much more is created!
Get ready to work >> We will prepare many recipes: Ginger+Curcuma shot, Fire cider, fermented honey and some shrubs!
Starting with a classical “Fire Cider” – one of the best natural antibiotics – we will go further understanding how to twist this famous formulas to get our guts well cultured and at the same time stay away from colds and flu!
It will also be a space to explore the medicinal properties of different botanicals in order to craft your own remedy. Yes, you can!
– Introduction: Time and herbal fermentation – historical and symbolic aspects
– What is this all about – yeast…bacteria – wild fermentation?
– A brief explanation about probiotics, benefits of fermentation and some of the variables to be considered in the process
– Tasting of different remedies and herbal tonics
– Step by step explanation and hands-on practice to craft your own natural “winter” remedy
– Wrap up and Q&A
At the end of the workshop participants can take home:
* 1 glass shot ginger/curcuma tonic shot
* 1 glass shot fire cider
* or your own handcrafted shrub/herbal remedy
* pdf herbal fermentation notebook with many recipes
Ps. Bring your own glass if you wish to bring home more of what will be produced in the course (apart from what is mentioned above)
(3- different sizes, small to medium)
The workshop will be held in English!
Cost: 25€ / participant
(Solidarity spots available – let us know in advance!)
Registration form: https://forms.gle/1i5ydJHDaSRS9TzE9
Address: A.Goštauto st. 11, entrance from the inner yard.