Our partners Užiateka are inviting sound and audiovisual artists to take part in City Sonic Vilnius sound camp and exhibition at Ideas Block’s new culture space – Kompresorinė, located in Vilnius, Lithuania.
Deadline to submit your application: Feb 15, 5:00 PM
About the Project
For the first time City Sonic Vilnius* is announcing an open call for sound and audiovisual artists to take part in the Sound Camp. The project was inspired by the diversity of Vilnius’s acoustic landscape. Therefore, through the diverse sounds of Vilnius city, the participants will learn, explore and share their collective or individual creations in collaboration with French sound artists to the Vilnius public to experience a new perspective of the city. This Sound Camp is also about promoting collaboration between artists of different practices and aesthetics, always starting from their energy, their desire, and their creativity.
The events will take place in Kompresorinė Cultural Center, open for interdisciplinary projects. The venue holds an ambisonic sound system which can also be used in the City Sonic Vilnius Sound Camp. The technical crew will be ready to support the participants.
THE SOUND CAMP WORKSHOPS
The participants will first work on the sound recording (field recording) in the city of Vilnius, which can evolve into situations invented and constructed on the spot.
Each place can be documented in its sonic characteristics or become a basis for the elaboration of a form of a poetic story or a small fiction inspired by the area and its inhabitants.
The audio recordings will be the material that can be processed or reinvented in the studio.
What we are interested in here is to be able to put a form of presence and attention to the urban environment as well as its metamorphosis into resonance and listening, and also to reveal, with the help of sound (or possibly the image of sound) certain particular places in the city of Vilnius but also strange and poetic situations.
All Sound Camp workshops are going to be in the English language.
At the end of 5 days of workshops and joint intensive experiences, an exhibition is planned with a sound (listening to the finalized creative works) and with a visual (a photographic, video, graphic, or multimedia look at the process and the images of this sound experience) component, as well as with sound performances (notably by the 3 guest creators-coordinators-curators, and also by Lithuanian artists).
Finally, in the coming weeks after this first City Sonic Vilnius Sound Camp, it is planned to publish the issues and final creations of the participants in audio, on the web, and in the form of printed materials.
- Artists of any nationality residing in Lithuania, with an evidence of committed artistic career are welcome to apply.
- City Sonic Vilnius is looking to attract artists working with sound, visuals or with a interdisciplinary approach, who are adaptable to a collaborative environment and interested in (re)discovering Vilnius city by sound.
- Participants need to bring, for the duration of the workshop, their computers (equipped with editing software) as well as any equipment necessary for sound recordings (digital recorders, microphones, etc.) or materials for their visual creation.
- If you are unable to bring necessary equipment or materials, please specify and we will try to find a practical solution.
SUBMISSIONS AND DEADLINE
- City Sonic Vilnius team is going to support most of the traveling, accommodation, meals, materials and equipment costs.
- To apply for City Sonic Vilnius/Sound Camp fill out the online submission form: https://forms.gle/pCPP5hGUVZe6wfJr6
- Submissions will be accepted until the 15th of February 2023
- If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
City Sonic Vilnius has been recently launched in partnership with City Sonic – international sound art festival initiated by Transcultures (Centre of digital and sound cultures in the Federation Wallonie-Brussels and also coordinator of the European Pepinieres of Creation international network for the mobility of contemporary artists-projects based in Paris) directed by curator/creator/producer Philippe Franck in 2003.
In duration of 2 weeks, City Sonic offers a sound itinerary in the hosting city with installations, performances and workshops, opening all creative doors (from digital/media arts/devices to invented instruments, from audio-visual to multimedia performances/installations, from the electronic/contemporary music to experimental /improvised music, from sound poetry to radio art…), of sound art today.
Merging an internationalist vision with the will to develop the local scene and support new/young talents as well as more renown but still singular artists, City Sonic approach focus on site specific works and build relationships between territories, locations, practices, communities, creativities and researches
With a similar approach, City Sonic Vilnius (coordinated by Užiateka and Transcultures Europe) aims to develop in Lithuania and its capital various activities linked to the diversity of sound arts with an interdisciplinary, participative, inclusive and federating vision. citysonic.be
WORKSHOP COORDINATORS/EXHIBITION CURATORS
Philippe Franck, Tommy Lawson, Christian Vialard (France).
You can find out more about them in Užiateka’s website.